Skip to content

De-Lurks, De-lights

January 24, 2011

If you didn't know already, a "lurker" is someone who reads a blog but rarely or never comments. De-lurking means making your presence known. Lately I've been blessed with some particularly fabulous de-lurkings.One in the form of the above snail-mail card from my friend Jane in New York (hey Jane!).One from a fellow organizer in the illegal gender-oppressive firing campaign. (Whatup, Nick: I am stoked to start reading your highly-recommended blog on caring labor.)Another from amazing coeditor and copublisher of make/shift magazine, Jessica Hoffmann.* (Seriously, that note's thoughtfulness sent me into a semi-shock stupor for an entire night.)A writer and dharma teacher I admire a whole lot, Mushim Ikeda-Nash, de-lurked to me last week, and then followed up with a piece of much-appreciated constructive criticism. (Actually about a post I wrote on Feministe; so I'll have to be in touch with them about updating it. Thanks, Mushim!)And then there's this (not exactly a conscious de-lurk, but I found it among my incoming links):

Karen, I have no idea who you are (do I?), but thank you. Let’s be friends. :)

Really though, not to get all mushed out on y’all, but it’s truly amazing to know that what I do here helps other people out. Even a little bit.

With so much gratitude to everybody who shows up here to read, reflect, and respond,

katie

—————————

*As of this posting, I’m delighted to say I just had a lovely, laughter-filled walk around Lake Merritt with Jess Hoffman, and man is she kind and smart and cool. (But not in the too-cool-for-you kind of way. Cuz I guess that would cancel out the “kind” part.) Jess, if you’re reading, thanks again!

[Update 5:44pm: Elise, I almost forgot you! Folks, Elise is a bad-ass, hilarious lady with sick dance moves and mad Facebook commenting skills. So good to meet you at Jamal’s party, girl!]

10 Comments leave one →
  1. January 24, 2011 4:33 pm

I just recently received my first issue of make/shift, and it is fantastic. I had no idea that it was at least partly grown in Oakland! Yay!

2. January 24, 2011 4:50 pm

yeeeaaahhh, sweet! i think the editor headquarters are basically in LA, but Jess is often back and forth between there and the Bay. maybe you and i could have tea and talk about one or more of the articles, jeff. :)

3. January 24, 2011 5:23 pm

aw, thanks to you too! it is a total delight to read your blog and to walk and talk with you!

4. noa permalink
    January 24, 2011 6:12 pm

I LURK DELURK DELURK YOU KATIE LONCKE. ALSO I JUST LOVE YOU.

your friend and DP forever,
    noa.

5. Karen permalink
    January 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Hey,

I’m Karen, one of your lurkers! Huge fan of your blog. Sorry I lurked, but I don’t know much about blogging etiquette. I especially love your posts about moonlit walks, social justice, well everything!

Feel free to lurk around our TASP blog. We’re a bunch of thirty h.s. seniors from around the world who lived together in an intellectual community at Cornell. Our WordPress is our way of keeping in touch and reminiscing.

I live in New York and am a Ch’an practitioner. I was referred to your blog by another Books through Bars volunteer, Bryan, who might be another lurker?

And, yes, let’s be friends! :)

6. January 24, 2011 6:31 pm

Karen, no apologies necessary, and yes, I spent a few hours lurking the hell out of the TASP blog, trying to figure out what it was. (Thanks for explaining. :)) Do you write cards or letters ever? If you email me a postal address (i’m katie (dot) loncke (at) gmail (dot) com), I’ll send you a note to start a conversation; I’d love to hear more about your practice, and your larger path.

noa you are the best. immeasurable, my love for you.

Jessica Hoffmann, what can I say. Hope we can take more walks.

7. January 25, 2011 9:03 am

Yes, please! (I emailed ya.)

8. beholdyourfutureexecutioners permalink
    January 25, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi Katie! We should hang out in “reality” sometime. I think your writings were part of a critical mass of friends, family and acquaintances that recently brought me to finally read the Suzukis on my shelf and sit quietly in the corner of my bedroom for long periods of time. Hope to see you tomorrow!

Nick

9. January 27, 2011 10:48 am

Nick, that is so kind of you to say. Damn. I’d love to hear more about the roundabout path that’s bringing you toward Suzuki (including doubts and all that good stuff). And would just be happy to build with you in general. Let’s def make a date in reality! Sorry i missed you yesterday, but I’ll be at the next meeting for sure.

10. Sycorax permalink
    January 27, 2011 12:21 pm

DeLurk! DeLurk! I love you! You fantastic human being you.